Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's Been One Month?: Part Two

Preface: On January 21, 2009, I had my first ultrasound which actually showed me the sex of the baby. I saw my daughter for the first time and she was beautiful. The doctor told me that all of the tests for diseases came back normal, which was a huge relief for me. I had no idea that I was pregnant so I hadn't been taking the vitamins at first. All the weeks of worry were finally over. Also at five months, I felt that I could finally get comfortable about having this baby. I didn't want to get too attached to the idea of having a baby because I might have a miscarriage. However, at five and half months I felt that I could start feeling happy about this baby. We even went out and bought her a few things. When I think about it now, I wonder if I jinxed my own baby.

On January 22, 2009, I was on my way home after leaving my Spanish class. I was dying to get in bed to watch "Snapped", my Thursday night ritual. As I was heading home, I saw the traffic light ahead of me turn yellow and I was faced with the age old decision to gun it or slow down. I remember clearly thinking I should do the responsible thing for my baby and slow down since I had plenty of time to do so. I came to a full stop at the light when about five to ten seconds later I was hit violently. The seat belt forced me back hard against the seat and the jolt back made me hit my head against the headrest. I was so startled by this that I drove through the red light thinking that somehow it was my fault because I was supposed to keep going. Lucky, for me there was a firetruck coming so it stop the traffic otherwise I would have been hit again. I guess the sirens brought me back from my daze and I pulled over into a BP. I called my best friend to let her know what happen and that I thought the other driver left the scene (she didn't, she was at the light I should have stopped at). She told me to go inside to call the police so I could file a report. The clerk was kind enough to do that for me and I went back to my car to wait for the police. As I walked back to the car something felt wrong, but since the gas station didn't have any bathrooms (or at least ones that I would want to use) I had to check for blood with a napkin in my car. There was no trace of blood so I felt a little better. Soon after, the lady that hit me pulled in and admitted that the accident was her fault. She said that she thought that I was going to go through the light. We didn't have to wait long for the police, because the police station was only a block away. The officer asked if anyone needed medical attention and I said no since there was no blood or pain at the time. However, as the officer was writing up the report I began to start feeling some pain in my abdomen. It was a sharp pain but I couldn't tell if it was that lovely pregnant gas pain or a result from the car accident so I waited it out. My friends were on their way up to meet me so I decided to see what they would say about it. Once the officer was through, my friends and I decided I should go to the hospital anyway even though the doctor(whom I also called for an opinion) said I would be fine. After hours at the hospital the pain had left and everything checked out except my blood pressure which was high. The nurse told me that she spoke with my doctor and he said to just come in the next day to evaluate my blood pressure. I followed his orders and went in the following day. My blood pressure was back to normal and everything with the baby seemed fine. I left his office feeling blessed that things didn't turn out worse.

To be continued.....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I know it must be hard!

    ReplyDelete